I’ve bought the Sony headset WH-1000XM2 a while back ago now and I have been super happy with it. This was until recently before I started to use it with my Macbook Pro ( 2018, 13-inch, with Touch Bar). I notice some frequent WiFi disconnects and disturbance with the signal when my headset was connected in Bluetooth.
I tried by many ways to fix the issue:
- reset the bluetooth pairing between the headset and my Mac
- tweak bluetooth settings and reset defaults on my Mac
- changing the WiFi channel of my router
- update the headset firmware thanks to the Sony | Headphones Connect application (iOS, Android)
One thing I couldn’t try due to my router limitations is to change the 2.4Ghz frequency range to 5Ghz. Unfortunately my router don’t have this option but I would suggest you to try if you have it. This change helps to avoid interferences with nearby devices.
So here is the workaround I finally came up with:
- Pair your headset with your smartphone
- Start the Sony | Heaphones Connect app
- scroll down to Sound Quality Mode
- check Priority on Stable Connection (see screenshot below)
I didn’t notice a significant drop in audio quality but the sporadic WiFi and chopped signal problems vanished since I changed this option. No more bluetooth interference so far.
If this still doesn’t fix your issue, take a look to this post that could help as well.